Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Question 6 from Kite Runner

As Amir remembers an Afghan celebration in which a sheep must be sacrificed, he talks about seeing the sheep's eyes moments before its death. "I don't know why I watch this yearly ritual in our backyard; my nightmares persist long after the bloodstains on the grass have faded. But I always watch. I watch because of the look of acceptance in the animal's eyes. Absurdly, I imagine the animal understands. I imagine the animal sees that its imminent demise is for a higher purpose." Why do you think Amir recalls this memory when he witnesses Hassan's tragedy in the alleyway? Discuss the image of the context of the novel.

I feel that Amir recalls the sacrificing of the lamb when he sees Hassan being raped because he is witnessing evil taking from the innocent. Hassan's inocence was taken from him just as the lamb's life was taken. Amir says, "I watch because of the look of acceptance in the animal's eyes." He watches because he is hopeful that the lamb (or Hassan) will accept what is happening. He feels that this will be cathartic for himself to see that they are at peace with their tragic events also. In a way, these events show that Amir is selfish, because he is watching for his own good rather than doing what is best for the good of others. However, he feels very sorrowful and guilty when watching. Everyone can relate to Amir's wanting to see "the look of acceptence." This quote withholds much importance in the theme of the story. Amir is searching for the "look of acceptance" from all around him especially "Baba." However, he will realize that the acceptance from Hassan can prove to be more important than those from the Pashtuns.

No comments: